Author Topic: Work habits  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Walkazo

Re: Work habits
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 01:15:42 AM »
I can't focus on homework until the weekend before it's do. Or the day before. My best work is usually the product of all-nighters. I try to have at least a few days reserved for studying for exams (so back-to-back tests screw me over); unlike assignments, I never stay up late before a test: sleep trumps cramming.
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world

Offline MCS

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
I usually try and begin homework the day I receive it, just to get it out of the way. Studying for exams is pretty easy for me, with my eidetic memory. On my last legal exam, I got a 94%.

Oh damn, you have an eidetic memory? That's really, really cool, but I've heard that it can be both a blessing and a curse for some people.

I'm usually pretty strategical when it comes to schoolwork. For long-term projects like this summer project I mentioned on here multiple times, I set up an imaginary timeline in my head and get a certain amount of work done every day. As for homework, I mainly do what YoshiKong does and get it out of the way as soon as possible so I can have the rest of the day free without having to grieve about having homework.
We're like Marilyn Manson- when we stopped terrifying people, we stopped being entertaining.
The community's like "Hotel California" - you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Offline YoshiKong

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
Oh damn, you have an eidetic memory? That's really, really cool, but I've heard that it can be both a blessing and a curse for some people.
Yup, I usually try and keep it to myself. In real life, no one my my family and some of my closest friends actually know about it. But I'm not too outgoing in real life anyway, so it never gets brought up.

Offline MCS

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 01:36:18 AM »
I see.

I've read that some people with eidetic memory have trouble sleeping because of the way information is stored in their brain. Are you like that at all?
We're like Marilyn Manson- when we stopped terrifying people, we stopped being entertaining.
The community's like "Hotel California" - you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Offline YoshiKong

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 01:46:16 AM »
I get a few late nights, but hardly never ever pull any all nighters or the sorts.

Offline Tucolucayo

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
I hate knowing I have stuff to do, so I usually do everything as soon as I can. Unless it's something I don't want to do, in which case I put it off for as long as possible.
From the moment I saw him write those book reviews for the Shroom, I knew Tucayo would make a good librarian.

Black Hole Sun

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »
Depends on how I feel at the time, but I absolutely cannot do assignments without music playing. I just can't. More often than not, I tend to do a bit of work early and leave the bulk of it until the last minute, which is not a particularly good way to get homework done. But hey, I got a 90 on my last test, so I guess I'm doing fine.

Offline Mario4Ever

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 03:08:30 AM »
^That's what I do when the assignments are boring (as they often are). I usually don't do shit early, though. I know it's a bad habit, but it's one I've yet to break.
"It doesn't matter what you do, yours is a tiny existence that has no effect on the vast sea around you."

Offline MCS

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:19 AM »
Depends on how I feel at the time, but I absolutely cannot do assignments without music playing. I just can't.

That's certainly interesting. I honestly can never do work while listening to music. I'm one of those people that needs complete silence to do work (which is why doing work in my English class freshman year was absolute hell. The teacher actually was dumb enough to let students talk up a storm not only during assignments, but during tests too, and it drove me off the wall.)

I hate knowing I have stuff to do, so I usually do everything as soon as I can. Unless it's something I don't want to do, in which case I put it off for as long as possible.

Yeah, I'm usually like that, too.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:34:55 AM by MCS »

Offline Walkazo

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »
Depends on how I feel at the time, but I absolutely cannot do assignments without music playing. I just can't.
Same. Studying too. (And wiki editing, store work, and writing and reading for fun.) It's too boring to do that sorta thing in silence. The only time I don't play music is when I'm so engrossed in reading or writing something I don't notice when the song/album ends, but that rarely happens with school work.

The teacher actually was dumb enough to let students talk up a storm not only during assignments, but during tests too
lolwut
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world

Offline MCS

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »
lolwut

Ironically, he told us he's been a teacher since the '70s, but was an absolute shitty English teacher in freshman year. I hated his class, not only because of what I just mentioned, but because of the sheer stupidity of some of my classmates.