Author Topic: What books have you read recently?  (Read 14008 times)

Offline Xpike

Re: What books have you read recently?
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »

The only problem I have with it is that the whole motivation of the Party is just to gain power for power's sake, as O'Brien explains. I find the idea that power the end goal of the Party, not a means to another end, to be ridiculous.
Why? Power is something that almost everybody wants, to be able to control everyone and everything seems like a good goal in life.
lalala

Offline Dr. Javelin

« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
But what satisfaction is there of knowing everything about everyone and controlling everyone if you don't really have control? Because no one person is in control, and only the Party is in control, it looks to me like any power you claim to have would be false. No one has the power to remove the Party if they wanted, because the rest of the Party would simply do away with you. The Inner Party as a whole is powerful, but as individuals they're surprisingly limited.

Offline Mario4Ever

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
The main character dies feeling what the Party wants him to feel. Control can't be much "truer" than that. Because a collective entity has power in this society, all who support it also have power, so there's no need for it to be concentrated with any one person.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:51:21 PM by Mario4Ever »
"It doesn't matter what you do, yours is a tiny existence that has no effect on the vast sea around you."

Offline Dr. Javelin

« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
But the very fact that it's collective means that no one person can have the power to do whatever they want. They would have to clear it with the rest of the Party first.

And just because you support the system doesn't mean you have power. Look at Syme. He wholeheartedly supported the system, but he was too intelligent so he was removed before he could question the system.

Offline Mario4Ever

« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
He had power up until that point, though. Also, O'Brien doesn't really have to clear anything with the rest of the Party, but I guess he's a special case since his role allows him to act as though he's outside of Party influence.
"It doesn't matter what you do, yours is a tiny existence that has no effect on the vast sea around you."

Offline Dr. Javelin

« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2014, 01:37:16 AM »
Syme didn't have any power outside of his own job. Neither does O'Brien.

Offline Mario4Ever

« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2014, 04:57:32 AM »
The fact is O'Brien doesn't need power outside of his job because it already gives him quite a bit (and there's the added benefit that he won't challenge the system, since his job is to make people submit to it).

Offline Xpike

« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »
If I had absolutely everything I wanted at my command while also being able to completely fuck up everyone I wanted and control absolutely everything without any repercusions, I think I'd be happy, so I don't get why that isn't a good goal in life.
lalala

Offline Walkazo

« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
This Time - Joan Szechtman

Fanboys bring Richard III into the 21st century. It's such a weird concept, and I wanted to love the book... But it was just so terribly written: the only reason I didn't give up was because the plot was so amusingly absurd - and not in the way the author intended it. Rather than a fish-out-of-water story, Richard ("Dickon") perfectly adapts in a matter of weeks (and I mean perfectly - like, driving cars and everything) and then gets caught up in a ridiculous thriller plot about hospital paperwork and random gun violence, then falls into insta-love with a Mary Sue (resplendent with her "shyly dangling earrings"), and over the course of a year, works his way up the corporate ladder to become president of the quantum mechanics-specialized research firm that brought him to the future. And all without blowing his cover as England's most infamous classic king to the outside world. Yeah.
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world

Offline Dave

• I got my way, and that means I was right.
  • Head Honcho
  • 13062 peanuts
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dave
  • I don't care if I lose because my heroes did too.
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
By His Bootstraps -- Robert A. Heinlein

That was really neat.
Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men.

Offline Mario4Ever

« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn

Walkazo, I don't think you'd like it.

Offline Dave

• Head Honcho
  • 13062 peanuts
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dave
« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
The Illustrated a Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell
Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men.

Offline Walkazo

« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »
The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn

Walkazo, I don't think you'd like it.
lol, if it's about eating grackles and other songbirds, no, I probably wouldn't.
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world

Offline Dr. Javelin

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »
So after reading 1984 I decided that I should look into Brave New World next, as they're both supposed to be similar.

I now declare that Brave New World >>>>>>>>>>> 1984, and I (kinda) liked 1984. It's that great. Absolutely recommend.

Offline Smiles

« Reply #214 on: June 06, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
The Fault In Our Stars
A riveting novel with a somber end. Finish it just in time before the movie came out. I think I might go see it tomorrow too just to go nick pick out all the differences. 
Fake realities, fake mentalities what kind of game are trying you to play?
Hiding your face away do you really think it can change your own fate?

Offline Dave

• Head Honcho
  • 13062 peanuts
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dave
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »
The Twenty Days of Turin, it was really good.