Author Topic: Japanese  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Walkazo

Re: Japanese
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »
On a more serious note, how close is my translation:
キャプテンクルール
海賊軍団のリーダーで、ドンキーをさらった張本人。大きなラッパ銃が武器です。
Kyaputenkurūru (Kaptain K. Rool)
The pirate legion's leader, he kidnapped Donkey. This is a big blunderbuss (referring to the weapon he's holding in the picture).
I came up with it using two dictionaries and prior knowledge of the official English version of Kaptain K. Rool's description. Google says it's "The leader of the Pirate Army, the perpetrator who stole the donkey. Kina Hiroshi blunderbuss weapons that is.", but I'm not sure where "perpetrator" came from: is it from   張本人? That's the only part which really gave me grief: I found that  本人  means "the person in question" (or "his/herself"), but   張  came up as "stretch", "boast", "assert" or "spread" and was not listed as being part of a compound with the other two kanji (Google translates   張本人  as "author", but no other dictionaries I've consulted back that up and it's clearly not what is meant in this instance).

The text is from here. I was hoping it'd say something about Kaptain K. Rool being King K, Rool's brother, but no such luck.

Sorry I didn't see this until now. (only a year or so late)

張本人 (Chohonnin) is basically an emphasized form of  本人. In this case an appropriate translation would be 'perpetrator.'

ラッパ銃 (Rappajuu) does indeed refer to his weapon, and literally means 'bugle gun,' which refers to the flared nozzle on that type of firearm. I'd actually never heard of the word 'blunderbuss' but it seems accurate. It's essentially a type of shotgun (although IIRC he shoots cannonballs with it or something)

I would translate the above quote as:

キャプテンクルール
海賊軍団のリーダーで、ドンキーをさらった張本人。大きなラッパ銃が武器です。
Kyaputenkurūru (Kaptain K. Rool)
The leader of the pirate legion and the one himself who kidnapped Donkey. His weapon is a big blunderbuss.
It's still nice that you cared enough to help even if it was old. Thanks to my classes, I can actually follow the grammar for the most part now (before, it was just a garbled mess of translated words; still don't know all the conjugations, but at least I know the particles), but I really appreciate the help, especially with the kanji.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:42:24 AM by Walkazo »
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world

Offline Walkazo

Re: Japanese
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Is "[you are] not always able to jump on top of the Note Blocks!!" a decent translation of 「おんぷブロックのうえじゃいつものジャンプはできないぜ!!」 ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:37:20 AM by Walkazo »
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world