Author Topic: Subjects that you hate/like?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline HemusK

Re: Subjects that you hate/like?
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
True. I mean, you have to consider the fact that I'm only going to be a sophomore when school starts, so I don't really know a lot of the higher-level math just yet. Hell, I don't even know what integrals are.

But that's true when I thought about it, since you're just using a predetermined formula, all you have to do is plug numbers into it.

I just finished sophomore year and I learned what integrals were, but I'm not sure if non-accelerated people learn about calculus.

And chances are if you're in Architecture or Video game design you're probably going to be dealing with some non-standard shapes (well more so in architecture) and curves and whatnot, so you probably will be using integrals to some extent. Well actually in VG Design you're getting the computer to do the integrals and whatnot so idk how much you personally need to know/do it.
We some money-hungry wolves, and we down to eat the rich
Your bodyguard ain't shit, we strip him like a stripper bitch

Offline Xpike

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
True. I mean, you have to consider the fact that I'm only going to be a sophomore when school starts, so I don't really know a lot of the higher-level math just yet. Hell, I don't even know what integrals are.

But that's true when I thought about it, since you're just using a predetermined formula, all you have to do is plug numbers into it.

I just finished sophomore year and I learned what integrals were, but I'm not sure if non-accelerated people learn about calculus.

And chances are if you're in Architecture or Video game design you're probably going to be dealing with some non-standard shapes (well more so in architecture) and curves and whatnot, so you probably will be using integrals to some extent. Well actually in VG Design you're getting the computer to do the integrals and whatnot so idk how much you personally need to know/do it.
I don't think you really need integrals or derivatives for alot of VG design, since they mostly deal with graphs, which is something you won't need as much, and most developers use polygonal figures to do modeling, since rendering perfect curves is almost impossible, but I wouldn't know about architecture (I would guess you wouldn't need it much either, but what do I know)
lalala

Offline Tucolucayo

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
I'm majoring in International Business and there's a lot of Calculus; I wasn't expecting it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:28:51 PM by Tucolucayo »
From the moment I saw him write those book reviews for the Shroom, I knew Tucayo would make a good librarian.

Offline Dr. Javelin

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2013, 12:32:25 AM »
And Javvy - I always thought schools forced you to read certain books either to let you enjoy some novels, or to maybe introduce some new concepts to you. Either or. Obviously reading the books themselves don't serve any purpose in the job world (for example, you're never going to be asked anything on Romeo & Juliet at your job) but I'd assume they make you read them for one of those reasons, or maybe even to improve your reading skills or something.
My point still stands that you aren't ever going to use those thematic concepts in the job world.

And you can improve reading skills by reading anything, not just literature. So we don't have to assign certain books, just make them read at a higher level of book difficulty.

Offline Dave

• I got my way, and that means I was right.
  • Head Honcho
  • 13062 peanuts
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dave
  • I don't care if I lose because my heroes did too.
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2013, 01:17:21 AM »
And Javvy - I always thought schools forced you to read certain books either to let you enjoy some novels, or to maybe introduce some new concepts to you. Either or. Obviously reading the books themselves don't serve any purpose in the job world (for example, you're never going to be asked anything on Romeo & Juliet at your job) but I'd assume they make you read them for one of those reasons, or maybe even to improve your reading skills or something.
My point still stands that you aren't ever going to use those thematic concepts in the job world.
And your assumption that the point of high school is job preparation is still woefully invalid.

And you can improve reading skills by reading anything, not just literature. So we don't have to assign certain books, just make them read at a higher level of book difficulty.
The main point of literature classes past like 5th grade is not reading skills but cultural literacy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:20:24 AM by Herr Shyguy »
Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men.

Offline Charmander

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2013, 06:06:32 AM »
This is somewhat unrelated, but I wish there was a subject that taught you how to get and maintain an apartment, pay taxes and bills and whatever, and generally prepared you for adulthood. I mean, knowing advanced math and two foreign languages is nice and all, but this is really basic knowledge that most people could use, yet it isn't properly covered in school. At least not where I am from.

It could be called "Adultology"... or uh... maybe not that.
"Sometimes life puts you in difficult circumstances you didn't choose. But being happy or unhappy is a choice you make, and I've choosen to make the best of things that I can."
-Shahvee, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Offline Tucolucayo

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »
I couldn't agree more.

except with the name
From the moment I saw him write those book reviews for the Shroom, I knew Tucayo would make a good librarian.

Offline Walkazo

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
That's home ec.

Although not every school offers the same home ec curriculum. I.e. my middle school (the only one where it was mandatory) only used it to teach us sewing (and formerly cooking, but then a student lit the oven on fire and they stopped the program forever). My high school also had an optional parenting class, but the only accounting/banking stuff they offered was from a business approach, rather than domestic survival. Health and fitness are sometimes part of home ec too (in the same vein as cooking), but my schools all lumped 'em in with phys ed.
Too many fools who don't think twice
Too many ways to pay the price
Don't wanna live my life in the real world

Black Hole Sun

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
I always assumed the lack of those sorts of studies was because they expected parents to educate their kids in that stuff? Which doesn't make it right, but that's what I thought.

Offline Phantom L

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »
At college, I really REALLY love politics.
The teachers are nice and I just find it interesting and as I am an opinionated bitch, it fits me fine.